ODD refers a specific set of behaviors that the child learns to engage in in order to get negativity from their parents. This may sound irrational but it turns out that parent-negativity (generally angry responses) are what the child is rewarded with and what the child is working for. The ODD child wants to upset the balance. He or she wants to annoy, irritate and generally disrupt the mood and the activities in the household. Negativity is a bigger payoff for these children. If this starts to sound plausible, read on.
These children are not born with ODD. They are, however, born with a difficult temperament. Every single child who is labeled ODD frustrates easily. They are born with a brain chemistry that makes them uncomfortable children. That brain chemistry, 60 percent of the time, is ADHD. ADHD kids are NOT comfortable. The other 40% of the kids who are labeled ODD might be kids on the spectrum of Autism (Pervasive Developmental Disorder, Asperger’s Disorder, Autism). Kids on the spectrum are certainly not comfortable. Some of the 40% of ODD children have a mood problem and they might be either anxious or depressed. Kids, who are moody and irritable, ARE NOT COMFORTABLE.
So the child is born with a difficult temperament and then ODD arrives. It comes after the child enters the world being uncomfortable.
ODD behavior (described as difficult, obnoxious, disrespectful, disruptive and disobedient) constitutes what psychologists call symptoms of the disorder. Children who are labeled ODD exhibit these symptoms with a much higher frequency and intensity than other children their own age. In fact, the ODD child develops these symptoms because they are “addicted” to parent negativity. It is their heroin and they are “stuck” in their desire to obtain it. In order to understand how this addiction occurs, it is advised that you view Session I of the FAST treatment program video library. You will enter virtual reality and be able to experience how this ODD learning takes place. In order to learn how to break the child’s addiction to parent-negativity, it is advised that you view Session II of the FAST treatment program video library.